Pregnancy is a miraculous process of creation, growth and transformation, during which the body goes through many changes – hormonal and mental in addition to the more obvious physical.
Benefits of pregnancy massage
- Reduction of swelling in hands, feet and ankles
- Lessening of sciatic pain
- Alleviation of muscular discomfort in the lower back and neck
- Easing of tension throughout the body
- Deep relaxation, which can help with insomnia
- Stimulation of endorphins – the body’s natural pain killers
- Helps in relieving anxiety or depression
- Helps to increase blood circulation, so delivering more oxygen and nutrients to the mother and baby
What to expect
A typical pregnancy massage lasts for 60 to 90 minutes. During this time you will lie on the massage couch on your side in a warm room, supported by soft pillows. You will be covered and only the body part being worked on will be exposed at any one time. Calming music will be played during the session. It is generally best to avoid eating a large meal or drinking a lot of liquid before the massage.
Although pregnancy massage is beneficial throughout the entire nine months of the pregnancy, it is best to consult your doctor or midwife if the pregnancy is considered high-risk before booking an appointment. You may still be able to receive a massage if you have a written release from your doctor or midwife.